On January 4, eight boys in grades 3-5 joined in competition using DS handhelds with their own trainers and collections of Pokémon in our first-ever Pokémon tournament. We chose Battle Revolution because it is the Wii game that can be played using the DS as a controller. This way, we were able to project the battles up on the big screen so that everyone in the room could watch and participate. The competition was heavy all the way to the end as the combatants were fairly evenly matched in skill. One emerged as Pokétopia Master. We were very happy to have Gabriel agree to judge. He even played an exhibition game against the winner. If you would like to see more tournaments like this, please let us know!
On January 4 from 1:30 – 5:00 PM, we will have our first ever video game Pokémon tournament. There is room in our registration for more students, in grades 3 – 8. Please contact the ASK ME desk in Youth Services to register, or register on our online registration calendar. Students from outside the library district may register in-person at the ASK ME desk for $2.
The general information and rules are:
When you arrive at the tournament, you must check in with the tournament organizers.
• Tournament sign-in will be open from approximately 1:15 – 1:25 PM. Walk-in registrants will be accepted only if pre-registrants have not arrived by 1:25 PM.
• No new registrations will be taken after 1:25 PM. We will begin the tournament once all players are signed in.
• All players may remain for the entire tournament. Cheer your friends to victory!
• Trash talking is allowed, but no swearing or bad behavior.
• Prizes will be Target gift cards.
• The tournament may end early.
• Players will combat using their own DS handhelds and their Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, HeartGold, SoulSilver or Platinum.
• Certain Pokémon are forbidden. The forbidden list can be accessed at Smogon University’s Uber list.
• Players will be assigned numbers at registration and will be paired randomly.
• Players 5 or more minutes late to any round will automatically take a game loss.