This summer’s Yu-Gi-Oh tournament, for students who have finished grades 3-8, will be held on Monday, July 30, from 1:30-5:00 PM. If you would like to join it, please register with your St. Charles Public Library card at our registration calendar or Ask Youth Services.
- When you arrive at the tournament, you must check in with the tournament organizers.
- Tournament sign-in will be open from approximately 1:15 – 1:25 PM. Walk-in registrants will not be accepted, unless pre-registrants have not arrived by 1:25 PM.
- No new registrations will be taken after 1:25 PM. We will begin the tournament once all players are signed in.
- All players may remain for the entire 3-1/2 hours. Cheer your friends to victory!
- Prizes will be Yu-Gi-Oh card packs
- The tournament will be played in advanced format: the forbidden list is in effect and will be enforced. The forbidden and limited lists can be accessed at http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/limited/index.html
- No counterfeit cards allowed.
- Players’ main deck must have a minimum of 40 cards and a maximum of 60 cards. Both the Side Deck and Extra Deck can have any number of cards up to a maximum of 15.
- Decks will be checked before the tournament starts.
- Players will be assigned numbers and paired randomly.
- Players 5 or more minutes late to any round will automatically take a game loss.
- Players 10 or more minutes late to any round will lose that round.
- All players will play 4 matches regardless of their win/loss record.
- Following the Preliminary Rounds the top 8 players will advance to the Single Elimination Rounds.
- Single Elimination Rounds are best of 3 games.
- Each round is limited to 30 minutes.
We are looking forward to opening Family Gaming this July. New this summer is a schedule of games. Monday, July 2, from 2-3 PM, will be MarioKart and XBOX Carnival Games. Tuesday, July 3, from 10:30-11:30 AM, we will set up Wii Sports Resort and Kinect Adventures.
To help you recover from the Fourth, on Thursday, July 5, from 4-5 PM, we’ll have Dora’s Big Birthday Adventure on Wii and Kinect Sports. To finish the week, on Friday, July 6, from 10:30-11:30 AM, we’ll set up LEGO Rockband on Playstation and Kinectimals. Of course, board games will also be available. Just drop by and show your family’s St. Charles Library card. Students 8 years old and older may join in without parents.
Of course, we will not abandon gaming the rest of the summer. The schedule for the rest of July will be: Monday, July 9, from 10:30-11:30 AM, Mario Party 8 and Kinectimals; Monday, July 16, from 4-5 PM, LEGO Rockband and Great Dinosaur Escape and Thursday, July 26, from 2-3 PM, Wii MarioKart and Kinect Adventures. While you are here, you can pick up the schedule for August or just watch this space.
Check-out our YS page for more events and programming available this summer!
Wednesday’s MarioKart Tournament was another exciting gaming event. 20 kids came ready to play, from newbies to pros. The top 16 scorers who made it to the prelims were tough competitors and great sports. Two brothers, Simon and Malcolm, took 1st and 3rd places. 2nd place went to a veteran of our tournaments, Ethan, who has competed in several previous. Think you missed out? This summer we will run our second annual Yu-Gi-Oh tournament on July 30. Ask your friends about the fun we had last year and keep an eye out for Discover Your Library, coming out in May, for your opportunity to register.
If you haven’t registered for the MarioKart Tournament next Wednesday, March 28, there is still time. Have your library card in hand and register online or call the ASK ME desk at 630-584-9390. Participants must be students in 3rd through 8th grade with St. Charles Public Library cards. Tournament information and rules will follow later this week.
Are you looking for some gaming fun during Spring Break? We have planned two events on March 28. No-School Day Gaming from 9:30-11:30 AM for families and students in grades 3-8, who are invited to drop in, show their St. Charles Library card, and play for as long as they like. Then, get ready for action in the afternoon, when there will be a Mario Kart Wii tournament from 1:30-4:30 PM. Students in grades 3-8 must register for the tournament to take part. There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Click here to register with the student’s library card in hand, or call 630-584-9390.
New games have been ordered and are either already in the library or on their way. Either way, they can be put on hold for your St. Charles library card. For Wii only: ATV fever, Disney Universe, Go Vacation, Mario: Sports Mix, Nicktoons MLB and Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster. For XBOX360 only: Carnival games: Monkey See, Monkey Do. For all three consoles, Wii, XBOX360 and PS3: LEGO Disney Pirates of the Caribbean, Tony Hawk: Shred and Puss in Boots. Check the catalog. We would like to hear about games you would like us to purchase. Please have your St. Charles library card in hand and click here to make a request. We can’t purchase everything, but all requests will be considered.
National Gaming Day on November 12 was an entertaining day for everyone. 16 families came by and tried their hands at Kinect Sports, Mario Kart Wii and LEGO Rock Band. Some even broke out the board games and tried our two newest, The Greatest Day Ever and Loaded Questions Jr, which were provided to libraries across the country just for participating in National Gaming Day.
It never ceases to delight me that gamers are a sharing group of kids. They all seem willing to give each other hints on how to play the game. Seven families qualified for the drawing by staying an hour or more. The winner has been notified by email and a gift card is on the way through snail mail.
If you missed this year, National Gaming Day is a yearly event. We also have regular drop-in gaming events. You can find the dates in Discover Your Library and on the Youth Services Event Registration Calendar.
Get ready for the next all-day gaming event, as St. Charles Public Library once again takes part in National Gaming Day, on Saturday, November 12. Open games will be held in the morning and the afternoon. Tell your friends, bring your family! Be sure to bring your St. Charles Public library card.
We hope your summer was fun and you are off to another great school year! We have planned a number of gaming events this fall. You may have noticed that there are Family Drop-in Gaming dates each month. Students in 3rd through 8th grade are welcome to join us without their families. All that you need is your St. Charles library card. Show it at the door of the meeting room on the Family Drop-in Gaming date and you are in for up to three hours of video and board games. The next one will be on Monday, October 10 from 1:30 – 4:30 PM.