You are here
Shelver Part Time
We currently have an opening for a part-time non-exempt Shelver. The purpose of this position is to maintain library materials in a logical and orderly manner. Contributes to the attainment of departmental and Library goals and objectives through compliance with Library policies and procedures. Is committed to service excellence.
SCHEDULE: One shift in the afternoon, two shifts in the evenings, and every Saturday
- Shelves books, AV items, and periodicals in an orderly manner within their designated areas (at least one cart per 1.25 hour with the goal of 98% accuracy or more.)
- Is alert to mis-shelved books while shelving, removes and re-shelves single items correctly. If larger sections are out of order, makes written note of their location for supervisor.
- Notices and removes materials in need of repair and takes them to circulation desk.
- Utilizes software to process returned materials.
- Maintains the orderly appearance of shelved materials, and furnished areas of department.
- Walks through area and picks up materials that have been left on tables, floors, re-shelving carts, etc. Returns materials to cart loading area.
- Reports areas needing maintenance to supervisor.
- Removes extraneous items left on shelves or tables by users (i.e. paper, lost personal items, etc.) and deals with them appropriately.
- Collects materials from book returns.
- Exercises good judgment in dealing with patrons and staff.
- Performs other duties as necessary
Must have moderate expertise with basic personal computers and office equipment. Ability to communicate well orally and in writing and explain basic operations to a wide variety of library patrons. Requires judgment, tact and patience as well as excellent listening skills. Proficiency with recognizing and understanding numeric and alpha systems with ability to learn the Dewey Decimal System.
Physically required to push and pull 200 lbs. of materials using proper equipment; reach up to 72” and to the floor, kneeling, bending, stooping frequently. Lifts and manipulates books and other materials. Accurately read labels on books and other materials. Will regularly move library chairs and other furniture of up to 50 lbs.
Should have experience or ability to use standard office equipment, including but not limited to personal computers, microfilm scanners, photocopiers, scanners, print release stations, and software including Windows OS, Workflows, MS Office and Outlook, Internet browsers, etc.
TO APPLY: Applications can be found at http://www.stcharleslibrary.org/employment
Electronic applications with resumes may be sent to: email@example.com
Applications accepted until March 16th, 2017.
The St. Charles Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer