FROM ANY COMPUTER with INTERNET access*
Go to emedialibrary.lib.overdrive.com
- Login by choosing St. Charles library from the list, enter your library card and PIN number
- Browse or search for Kindle Book(s)
- Click “Add to Digital Basket”, “Proceed to Checkout”, “Confirm Checkout”
- Click “Get for Kindle” icon
Now you’re transferred to Amazon to complete the download process
- Click “Get Library Book”
- Login to the Amazon account that’s associated with your Kindle
- Select the device you want to “Deliver to:”
- Click “Continue”
- If your Kindle can connect to a Wi-Fi network, turn on your Kindle and connect to Wi-Fi (not 3G)
- Your book will be delivered wirelessly to your Kindle device or app
If you cannot connect to a Wi-Fi network, you may download the book to your computer and transfer it via the cable that came with your Kindle. Follow the instructions on Amazon’s page to complete the download. Make sure you drag and drop the book into your Kindle’s documents folder.
*All of these steps may be completed directly on a Kindle Fire (but not other Kindles) without a computer. If you prefer searching and checking out on a computer’s larger screen, these steps will work with a Kindle Fire as well.
If you complete the steps and do not see your book, try using the Sync button on a Kindle Fire or turning your Kindle off and on, making sure you’ve connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Important! If you finish your book early, please check it back in – this gives you the opportunity to check out another item on your account, and is kind to patrons who are waiting for titles.
You may also use the Manage Your Kindle link to delete any expired items. Public Library items are clearly marked.
Other items of note:
Titles are available to one reader at a time. If a title is available, you will see the option to “Add to Digital Basket”. If it is currently checked out, you will see the option “Place a Hold.” When holds become available, you will be notified by email.
You may choose to have eBooks checked out for 7 or 14 days. When time has expired - books are automatically checked in, the book will no longer be available on your computer, and you will have to manually delete it.