How do I download Library ebooks to an eReader (Sony, Nook, Novel, etc.)?
• kindle users click here
• Overdrive list of supported eReaders
FROM YOUR HOME COMPUTER:
Set up your computer and device
Already set up? Skip to step 3.
Download and install free software
Note: Adobe Digital Editions requires 2 additional items which generally are automatically installed:
- Adobe Flash Player. The version of Adobe Flash Player that is required varies depending on your operating system. To download Adobe Flash Player, click here.
Please also note that downloading eBooks requires pop-up windows so you must disable any pop-up blockers.
Activate the software
Adobe Digital Editions can be activated anonymously or by using an Adobe ID.
- Anonymous activation allows you to download and read DRM-protected eBooks on a single computer only.
- Activating using an Adobe ID allows you to download and read DRM-protected eBooks on multiple computers and transfer them to supported eBook devices. (Recommended)
How do I activate Adobe Digital Editions using an Adobe ID?
- Open Adobe Digital Editions (see Step 1). The 'Setup Assistant' dialog box is displayed.
- Click 'Continue' and the 'Authorize Computer' screen is displayed.
- Enter your Adobe ID (email address) and password.
If needed, get an Adobe ID.
- Click 'Activate.' Your computer is activated to your Adobe ID.
- Click 'Finish' to close the 'Setup Assistant' dialog box.
Check out and download
- Open eMedia Library. Browse and/or search for titles. Not all of the titles in eMedia Library will work on an eReader; please choose either EPUB or PDF titles to transfer to your eReader.
- Once you have checked out a title, a download page is displayed. Click the 'Download' link. If asked, click to SAVE the file. When the download is complete, open Adobe Digital Editions and choose 'Library View' to see titles you have downloaded.
Transfer to eReader and Enjoy!
Once the ebook has been downloaded, you can use Adobe Digital Editions to read it on your computer or transfer it to a supported eReader. Before transferring ebooks, your eReader must be activated with your Adobe ID. You will be prompted to register your eReader the first time you connect the device to Adobe Digital Editions.
- Connect your device to your computer. The device must be turned on.
- The Adobe Digital Editions 'Authorize Device' window will pop up.
- Click 'Authorize Device.'
- Adobe Digital Editions will now recognize your device and will list it within the 'Bookshelves' area of the Adobe Digital Editions window. Look for the device name and icon.
- To move books, simply drag and drop them to the device icon.
- To locate your title on a Nook: Select "My Library" and then "My Documents".
Detailed instructions are available from Overdrive via the Library’s DIGITAL & DOWNLOADABLE COLLECTIONS webpage.
Your eReader manufacturer may also require additional software, firmware upgrades, etc. Please check with the device manufacturer for additional information.
Other items of note:
- Titles are available to one reader at a time. If a title is available, you will see the option to place it in your cart. If it is currently checked out, you will see the option to place it on hold and when it is available you will be notified by email.
- You can choose to have eBooks checked out to your account for 7 or 14 days. When that time has expired, the book will no longer be available on your computer, but you will have to manually delete it.