eMedia Library from OverDrive - downloadable audiobooks to listen to from your home computer or compatible mobile device.
To download audiobooks you will need a St. Charles Library card.
Steps for downloading
- Currently over 100 popular titles with more on the way.
- Titles can be checked out for two weeks and may be renewed for an additional two weeks.
- Allows you to place items on Hold.
- You will never accrue late fees with titles you download from this website. At the end of the loan period, titles will expire and be automatically 'returned' to the library.
- You can check out up to 10 titles per user at a time.
- St. Charles Library card number & PIN
- Free Overdrive software downloaded and activated on your home computer or MP3 player or other portable device.
- Windows Media Player® 9 Series or above (version 10 is recommended)
- If you wish to listen to the books through your home computer, you will need to have speakers.
- Turn off any software that blocks pop-ups.
For more information about devices supported by eMedia Library from OverDrive please check OverDrive Device Resource Center.
Download and register the free Overdrive software
Download and register the free Overdrive software, following the steps on the eMedia Library from OverDrive “Quick Start Guide”.
Choosing Titles to Download
You can browse or search the site for downloadable materials. When you locate a title of interest, first click on to place it in your basket. Placing a book in your digital basket is like placing it on temporary reserve; as long as the title is in your digital basket, it will remain available for you to check out. Please note that the system will automatically remove a title from your digital basket 30 minutes after you have placed it there, making the title available to others.
Once you have finished choosing titles, use the “Proceed to Checkout” link to continue.
If a desired book is not available, you may place a hold on it. The book you have placed on hold will be reserved for you to check out once it becomes available. When the title is available for you, you will receive an email with instructions on checking the book out. The item will be held for you for 2 days. For more information, visit the “Borrowing Help” page.
Once you have checked out a title, a download page will be displayed. Click the download link to start the download. Once the download is complete, you can close your Internet connection and enjoy the materials offline.
Help page - Details regarding system requirements, using the Overdrive software and troubleshooting are available.
The title is automatically returned after two weeks. Please note that if you finish the book before the check-out period ends, the program does not allow for “early” check-in.