The Outreach Services Department of the St. Charles Public Library facilitates Library usage for patrons with special circumstances. Special circumstances include, but are not limited to, visual, mobility, or hearing impairments.
Outreach Services staff provides information and referral and delivers materials to participating senior facilities, nursing homes, and individuals who are permanently or temporarily unable to get to the Library. Outreach also maintains paperback swaps at participating locations in the Library District. These are designed to provide no-cost reading materials to residents of multi-unit facilities such as Cumberland Green Co-op, AMLI, and Covington Court. Paperback swaps also are located at the Salvation Army and La Huerta Supermarket.
To address visual impairments the Library offers:
To address mobility impairments the Library offers:
- Sundance Scooter for use in the Library
- Wheelchair for use in the Library
- Adjustable computer table in Adult Services
- Accessible aisles and elevators to all levels
- Delivery options for those who are unable to get to the Library
For the deaf and hard of hearing, the Library offers:
- 711 Relay support
- Closed captioning on videorecordings whenever possible
- Sign language interpreter for programs, when requested 48 hours in advance
- Use of hearing aid compatible amplification system in the Huntley meeting room, with advance request
For more information about these services, Ask Outreach Services!