Minard Hall & Judge Barry's Law Office 201 E. Main Street
This red brick building, now McNally's
Pub, was the location of St. Charles Office Supply
for many years. Built in the 1840s, the structure
has served several purposes during its existence.
In its early days, the Banking House of Bowman and
Baird, law offices, and St. Charles's first "opera
house", Minard Hall, were located here. The "opera
house", located on the second floor, offered various
types of entertainment ranging from concerts, political
speeches, plays, comedies, and "Magic Lantern Shows."
In the small structure attached to the building was
the law office of Judge William Barry. Barry, who
moved to St. Charles in 1840, became a well known,
honored citizen, and served as county judge. It is
rumored that Abraham Lincoln visited the Judge in
From the late 1880s until 1906, the
first St. Charles Library was located in the former
offices of Judge Barry. In 1906, the Library moved
into the new Carnegie Building.
Minard Hall (Judge Barry's
Law Office, 1850)
Minard Hall (St. Charles Office Supply,
photographs, see these sources,
more fully described in the Bibliography.
Then and Now St. Charles on Parade p 14 St. Charles Illinois p 11