Ira Minard bought the property on which this sprawling house sits from the U.S. Government in 1842. After changing hands several times over a short period, Amos Locke, a native of Vermont who settled in Charleston in 1836, bought the property. This building, originally a one room home built in 1843, has experienced great growth and seen many different owners over its 160 year history.
From the late 1840s through the 1890s, the home remained in the Durant family. The Durants built the two story brick dwelling in the 1850s. One of the home's many owners was apparently involved in abolition. It is reported that there is evidence in the cellar that the home served as a station on the Underground Railroad.
Since its construction, it is thought that the building has been added on to at least eight times. Russell Norris bought the sprawling residence in 1935. At this time he converted it into a funeral home. For over 60 years now, the Greek Revival building has served this purpose.
Locke - Durant Family Home - 1850's
Simon Family Home - 1930's
Norris Funeral Home - 1940's
Norris Funeral Home - 1990's
photographs, see these sources,
more fully described in the Bibliography.