This stone building, built in 1850, lost any evidence of its original state long ago. Over time, the stone has been covered over with stucco and and the original interior has been altered.
Judge William D. Barry built this home ten years after his arrival in St. Charles. He had law offices at Minard Hall and it was in his office that many local attorneys studied law. Judge Barry became city judge in 1852. He remained active in law through the early 1900s.
It is thought that Abraham Lincoln may have stayed the night at this residence prior to his presidency.
For additional photographs, see these sources,
more fully described in the Bibliography.