You are here
Annual Report Summary
Annual Report Summary 2014/2015
- The Library received the Civic Image Award from the St. Charles Chamber of Commerce for the completion of our interior renovation project.
- The Library received 1st place in the non-profit category in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
- The Library received the Constant Contact: 2014 All Star Award for our email marketing campaigns.
- Reference Librarian Emily Kofoid was accepted into Synergy: The Illinois Library Leadership Initiative.
- The Library launched a Seed Library this year and gave out over 500 seed packets.
- Completed the first year of automatic renewal of library cards and began the automatic renewal of library materials.
- We celebrated two notable Trustee anniversaries this year: Mike Hill 10 years and Karen DeVault 10 years.
- Volunteers donated 2,155 hours of time to the Library.
USE OF LIBRARY RESOURCES
- Print (books, periodicals) resource use –4.7%
- Traditional audiovisual (DVDs, CDs, audiobooks) use –12.5%
- Use of streaming, downloadable and electronic content +232%
- eBook use +14%
- eAudiobook use +27%
- Total number of patrons registered to use downloadable materials +17%
- Access to library resources via the St. Charles Public Library mobile app (powered by Boopsie) average approximately 50,000 searches per month.
- 29% of users access the Library website via a mobile device or tablet
- Internet use in the Library +36.6% (to 54,017)
- Library home page had 770,318 pageviews during the year, averaging 64,000 per month
- 1,412,584 books and other items were checked out (25.64 per capita; -2.1%)
- 64% of checkouts = adult/young adult; 36% = children/students through 8th grade
- 480,454 visits to the Library, or 8.19 per capita, an increase of 4.7%
- 192,608 reference questions were answered: 3.49 per capita (+26%)
- 53.8% of our 55,092 residents have current St. Charles Public Library cards (+7.6%)
- Adult program attendance + 36%; youth services + 0.6%
- In-person technology class attendance increased 33% over last year.
- Joined eRead Illinois, a statewide e-resources consortium, giving us access to approximately 15,000 additional eBook titles.
- Introduced Playaway Launchpads, preloaded learning tablets for children.
- The Library’s downloadable e-content is now visible and can be downloaded directly from the Library catalog.
- Upgraded our Freegal Music and Hoopla Digital subscriptions, increasing the use of digital music by more than 400%.
- 20% of the Library’s budget was spent on books and other resources.
- Total materials collection decreased 2.2%, from 388,329 to 379,812.
- eVideo collection increased 71.6%; eAudiobook collection increased 186.3%.
- 65% of the collection is adult and young adult material; 35%, children and students through 8th grade
- 36,824 physical items were added to the collection; 32,303 were withdrawn.
- Turnover rate of entire collection is 3.7 (compared to the average public library turnover rate of 2.64).